Roe Encounter

I went back to Badger Wood and found the custom camera trap’s batteries were flat, as expected. I watched over the mossy log for two hours. Flocks of long-tailed tits passed over, but none came down to the log. Only a robin actually landed and I got several photos.

A few mealworms are sure to attract a robin

A grey squirrel came over to check me out, then went back the way it had come. I was about to give up when three roe deer came across the path about 80 yards in front of me. I managed to photograph them jumping the fence.

Cross the path...
 
...prepare for takeoff...

 
...jump the fence

A few minutes later I saw them watching me from the other side. I was in a hide, with the sun behind me, but they knew I was there. They bounded away. I’m always amazed at just how sensitive the woodland animals are to their surroundings - aware of my presence long before I see them. I brought the custom camera trap back home and added another relay to get the camera’s power saving function to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collecting Tansy Seed

Maldives 2016: Wildlife on the Island

Fen Bog